Google recommends webp image format in websites instead of png or jpg. Lighthouse report in Google Chrome recommends to ‘Serve images in next-gen formats’. Image formats like webp often provide better compression than PNG or JPEG, which means faster downloads and less data consumption. In case of wordpress, it suggests using a plugin to automatically convert uploaded images to next-gen image formats.
So, why serve images in WebP format? WebP image format has superior compression and quality characteristics compared to JPEG and PNG images. Encoding images in WebP format rather than JPEG or PNG means that they will load faster and consume less cellular data. Website using webp images will be faster and more performant.
Website speed is key factor in ranking websites in search engines. WebP is supported in the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and Opera and provides better lossy and lossless compression for images on the web. Webp images can also be transparent like PNG images. Statistics prove that WebP format can save over a half of the page weight without losing images quality. Convert PNG, JPG and GIF images to WebP and speed up your website, save visitors download data, and make your Google rankings better. So to convert images to webp format in wordpress.
Go to wordpress dashboard, go to plugins and search for ‘Images to WebP’ plugin.
It allows you to:
Choose image quality for webp
Choose to convert images during upload
Choose image conversion method (GD)
Choose image extensions to convert (JPG, PNG, GIF)
Now if you upload image in wordpress, it will be converted into webp. But original image will not be touched. Original image will be there.
You can convert existing images to webp also.
Go to ‘convert existing images’ tab from plugin settings.
Bulk convert images to webp
Converted images will be present besides each original image. Original image will not be removed. Plugin also provides helpful hooks for developers to use in functions file.
– Plugin provides automated test after plugin activation to make sure it will work on your server
– It works with all types of WordPress installations: domain, subdomain, subdirectory, multisite/network and more
– It works on Apache and NGiNX
– Image URLs will be not changed so it works everywhere, in src attribute for img, in srcset, picture, even in CSS backgrounds and there is no problem with cache
– Original files will be not touched
– Set quality of converted images
– Auto convert images on upload
– Only convert image if WebP filesize is lower than original image filesize
– Bulk convert existing images to WebP (you can choose folders)
– Bulk convert only missing images
So you can convert images to webp on upload. Convert uploaded images. Preserve original images. Bulk convert and selectively convert images to webp and more. Alternatives to this plugin can be ‘webp express’ plugin that i have already reviewed.
– Convert Images to WebP in WordPress | Bulk Image Optimization to Speed Up WordPress Performance
– Figma to WebP Image Compression & Conversion
– 1000 IMAGES to WebP Conversion in Seconds
If you are new to the channel, subscribe to learn more about web development, web application development, editing wordpress source code, how to create a website using wordpress, developing landing page in wordpress, working with child theme wordpress, custom wordpress theme development, wordpress plugin development, how to build a website with wordpress, create website with wordpress and related web development areas.
In this tutorial I answered all of following questions:
– How to convert jpg to webp online
– Can we change jpg and png into webp on wordpress?
– How to upload webp on wordpress
– How to convert image to webp wordpress
– How to convert all wordpress images into webp
– How to upload webp images in wordpress
– How webp converter works in wordpress
– How to convert all images to webp in wordpress
– How to use webp converter for media in wordpress
– How to support webp to wordpress
– How to convert all images to webp on wordpress
– How to convert jpg into webp in wordpress
– How to see webp image in wordpress
– How to upload webp images in wordpress with plugin
– How to use webp on wordpress
– How to convert wordpress images to webp format
– How to set webp image on wordpress
– How to convert wordpress images to webp
– How to convert jpg to webp in wordpress
– How to add webp images to wordpress
👍 LIKE VIDEO
🔔 PRESS BELL ICON
#webp #WordPress #imageoptimization #seo #WebStylePress #WordPressTutorial #WordPressForBeginners #WordpressPlugin #WebDevelopment