State of Birds 2020
The following are the key findings of State of Birds report, 2020:
- 50% of 867 bird species in India are exhibiting population decline.
- The number of birds in Western Ghats have declined by 75% since 2000.
- Around 101 bird species in India have been placed under “high concern” category, 442 in “low concern category” and 319 in “moderate concern” category.
- The population of House Sparrow was stable. However, their population was declining in major cities. The House Sparrow has been declared as the “State Bird of Delhi”.
- The House Sparrow population is declining in cities mainly due to decreasing insect population.